Saturday, March 21, 2009

I love you, man and Dragonball: Evolution

I love you, man was great fun, a very funny movie. I don't have a whole lot to say about it, my favorite part of it was Thomas Lennon's cameo even if they did make it pointlessly obvious that it was going to be a huge gay joke right from his introduction. I kinda-sorta-maybe-a little bit met Thomas Lennon once, but thats a story for a later date, or never. More importantly than I Love You, Man, however, is Dragonball: Evolution, which I am now a proud owner of a poster for(I didn't get it in support of the movie, I promise). Don't let me deceive you, I HATE HATE HATE HATE this movie. It is the single most unfaithful and moronic attempt at money gauging from Dragonball fans that is possible to have been conceived. I don't like Dragonball Z, they spent 19 episodes showing the last 5 minutes of planet Namek, and it was just pointless. However, let's not bullshit, if you didn't like Dragonball Z on Toonami when you got home from elementary school, fuck you (unless you were just more into Gundam). DBZ was an about as huge a part of my childhood as toonami was itself, I almost stopped watching when Tom 1 died and I still remember the day I dropped DBZ fervently. These people are killing my childhood.I encourage anyone to watch the trailer for this tripe on youtube, I really do, if you remember DBZ from your childhood, it will make you want to vomit. 

Some of my major problems just from the trailer:

- Goku: Goku was (in the anime) a little kid whose rasion d'etre was training to kill all the bad guys for the good guys, Goku is (in the movie) a whiny little 17 year old who seems to have been almost forced into saving the world, wtf, doesn't that pretty much defeat his purpose?

- Bulma: Bulma was (in the anime) essentially what goku is in the movie, she was the spoiled teenager of rich parents and the reluctant caregiver who had no choice but to take care of hopeless little Goku, oh and also she had blue hair, Bulma (in the movie) is this John Wu-esque dual wielding pistol tough chick with black hair

- Roshi: Master Roshi was Goku's version of Mr. Miyagi, only difference was that he was a pervert, yeah, a bad one, and for some reason, he wore a turtle shell, Roshi (in the movie) looks like a 40-something in a hawaiian shirt (which DBZ Roshi had too)

- Picolo: nothing much other than that he looks all wrong in my head

- Unknown villain: WTF? were the villains in the DBZ universe not enough? did they really need another one? there are waaay better stories to be told here.

In short, DBZ: Evolution pisses me off, I can only hope that upcoming Dragonball: Kai (essentially a re-telling of DBZ w/o the filler and suck) will be good

No comments:

Post a Comment