Sunday, February 22, 2009

I have no idea why this happened

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=40086

Yes, that is correct, do not attempt to adjust your internet. There is, in fact going to be a High School Musical manga. For those of you who don't know what a manga is, they are comics and print cartoons made in Japan and in the Japanese style. However, for all intents and purposes you can just think of them as Japanese comic books only longer and usually in black and white. My question is why. Why in the world would anyone want to make a commic book out of a musical? Isn't the entire point of a musical to make people nod their heads and tap their feet to the beat (please excuse the rhyme as it was unintentional)? I mean honestly, who goes to see a musical and thinks to themselves, gee, this is great, but I'd be enjoying it twenty times more if only it was silent and I had to read it? Really though, how did this happen? Aside from the fact that it makes no sense for this thing to be created because you can't hear the music, why would you want to make it anyway? Wasn't the movie pretty much terrible? I mean, I know it was popular here, but I genuinely thought that the Japanese had better shit to do. The anime, manga, and movies scene is really booming in Japan, so how in the world did this stupid movie gain the popularity necessary to be serialized? Don't think I'm ignorant, I know the Japanese have an obsession with overly-cheery-craziness, but this seems a little stupid even by their standards. The article says the whole first season is already done, so I guess I'm a tad late with this, but hey, if I haven't heard it, it's news to me. 

1 comment: